Monday, June 30, 2008

San Juan Island Bicycle Trip - Day 2

SHAW ISLAND

Day two started off way too early for me. When ever I'm camping during the summer I always think it is later than it actually is, causing me to get up early and be tired most of the day. Hopefully I don't repeat that tomorrow.

After getting things packed up for the morning, we took off to see the rest of Shaw Island making our way to the other side of the island. Not much to see over that way, but it was perfect riding. Empty roads and a beautiful landscape. We ended up doing around 12 miles and than headed to the ferry dock to move onto island two. We had no plan of what island we'd hit enxt, with the plan being to just jump on the next ferry that came. This left us with about an hour and a half to kill sitting in front of the only store in town, playing some 10,000. A game I'm currently killing Carey in. I also got a chance to scarf down a Snickers, quickly becoming my bicycle riding favorite. Last summer I had three in one day as I put in a 130+ miles.


After a short ferry ride we were on the 2nd smallest island we will visit, Lopez. The plan was to hit up the campsite, drop out gear, and check out the island. At this point we had only gone about 16 miles and I was beat. T his is hard for the ego to take. My brain still thinks I can ride 130 miles in one day, but my legs and lungs have something else in mind.

After a quick rest we headed to the Southern part of Lopez. Beautiful roads again...a bikers paradise. Our destination being Agate Beach County Park. From the name on the map it looed like a big park, but the actual beach part was pretty small. Still a great view of Outer Bay and about 5 islands set off from the Lopez mainland.

We than took a tip from another bicyclist we met to check out Watmough Bight Nature Preserve. It was great advice, even with having to ride on some dirt roads. Gorgeous little cove that just shimmered in the sun light. I think we both would have wanted to stay longer, but it was getting late and out tummies would soon be screaming.


After getting lost on a 4 mile wrong turn, we made out way back, very hungry. Carey even had to pull up with a 1/2 mile to go to eat some trail mix. Being on the bikes all day makes you hungry! Tomorrow is more of Lopez Island and we'll probably stay a 2nd night.

Day 2:
47.43 Miles
11.13 AVS
4:15:34 STP
36.1 Max Speed
Total: 96 Miles