Friday, July 4, 2008

San Juan Bicycle Trip - Day 6

We didn't do many miles today, but it was still productive. Yesterday on a hike around the park we had come across the non-primative campsites that had super nice bathrooms with showers! Our motivation wasn't super high this morning and we were feeling pretty gross, so we marched down to the other campground and each enjoyed a nice 3 minute shower for 50 cents. Could have been longer, but it felt great! Can't wait for a full on shower tomorrow or Sunday.


After the clean up we got the motivation to get on our bikes for a ride down to Olga and Obstruction Pass State Park. Nothing overly exciting. Got a cup of coffee in Olga. Hung out at the beach at the State Park. Pretty much the whole day was being setup for the ride up Mt. Constitution. So, after lunch we took a quick nap just to make sure we were ready.


Around 6pm we said we better get done with this and pushed off. The 2,409-foot summit took us about 45 minutes. Was challenging, but not impossible. I guess I made it over so many hills last summer, that this was just anoterh one among many. I actually liked the uphill more than the downhill. Don't think many people would say that. I guess I've never been a speed junky, so the challenge of the climb is more fun than the speed I could achieve going down. I ended up riding the brakes most the time with all the curves and cutbacks the road makes. Carey was/is much more into the speed and easily blasted his way down the hill ahead of me. The top had some amazing views. Could see all around the area, 360 degrees. I took some pictures, but I know they won't do the view justice. Somethign like this really needs to be experienced first hand. Similar to seeing an eagle fly or a pod of whales pass by. Camera just doesn't cut it.


Well, tomorrow is our final day. We will most likely catch a 12:20pm ferry back to Anacortes. From that point it's a 40 mile ride back to my truck. The Orcas miles plus that should make it our longest day. Good way to end a 7 day bicycle trip!

Day 6: 19.21 Miles, 9.54 AVS, 2:00:46 STP, 35.1 Max Speed, 210 Total Miles