Friday, July 20, 2007

Day 10 - 40 Miles

* 40 Miles, Total = 566
* Chesterland to Westlake (Cleveland)

After the long day yesterday it felt great to take a short one. I was faced with an early challenge as my BOB trailer tire was completely flat. Once I took the tube out I couldn't find the hole, so I got out the spare tube that the person who sold the trailer gave me. Totally wrong size! For those planning a trip, this would be a good detail to check beforehand. Back to patching the tube, Armin suggested I use a puddle to find the hole. This worked out, the hole was very small. Patched it up and we were on the way!

Speaking of the BOB trailer, I really like it. It's super easy to pack, gives me plenty of space to bungy things on, and takes some of the load off my bike to the extra wheel. The two big knocks is having to lean it differently at stops and it wobbles on down hills. Nothing serious, but it is a factor. Another benefit is that it keeps things totally dry. At night I pack my shoes and extra gear into it to keep them dry from rain and morning dew.

After we got the wheel fixed this morning we took off for Cleveland. Stopping along the way at a bike shop so I could pick up a spare BOB tube and Armin needed a small fix to his gear shifter. The ride through Cleveland brought us through heavy rain, various levels of traffic, and a stop at Whole Foods to enjoy the free samples.

Next stop, the Yacso household. Former roommate Erica grew up in Cleveland and she was kind enough to ask her mom to host us. And oh boy did she! Hot shower, laundry, internet access, and a wonderful meal. She really went all out for us and has officially taken over the "best host" award that I give to one lucky person. She takes over this award from her daughter, pushing Erica to second place.


Tomorrow we push on West. We figure Ohio and Indiana will take only a few days each. Should be in Chicago in 5 to 6 days.