Saturday, July 14, 2007

Day 4 - 58 miles

Today had one main thing that we haven't faced much of yet. Wind. In some of my practice rides I had decent wind and didn't like it. Now we have the wind and hills. They call the area around here The Endless Mountains. Nobody seems to know where they end, but we get the feeling pretty close to the Ohio border. We've had a couple people tell us about a very large hill we will face in the next day or two. I almost don't want to know about it because now I have to think about it. In the same respect I wish I didn't know the Rockies existed.

Today was a surprisingly long day. The last stretch seemed to go on forever. When I finally hit Mainesburg it was a lovely site. I stopped at the only store in town, chatted up the teller and drank a root beer. This gave me a chance to ask about places to stay in town. I asked about his land, but he was going to be out of town tonight and thought the neighbors would freak out. Julie showed up and as we were walking away he suggested we try the town park. Once we got to the park it was great, real big and secluded.

Just to be safe we wanted to ask the neighbors to make sure they didn't care. First house we went, Bernies, turned out to be the park supervisor. He said it would be fine and that nobody would bother us. Another town, another nice place to stay for free. Maybe we should write US Bicycle Touring on $5 a day. The only small notch at this sleeping site is the large family that is having a late bbq after a funeral. Hopefully they don't stay too late, we tend to hit the sack early. Once again though, thank you to small town America and welcoming their land to the weary bicycler.

I'm so excited that we are planning on sleeping in tomorrow. 6AM alarm instead of 4:30. I did not want to get up this morning, but biking early in the morning is nice. Armin has been having daily flats to his back tire, so were hoping to find a bicycle shop in the large town 4 1/2 miles down route 6. This might cost us some miles tomorrow, but poor Armin needs to get this issue fixed.

Recap:
* 58 miles (total = 223)
* Laceyville, PA to Mainesburg, PA