Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Day 8 - 54 Miles

* 54 Miles (Total = 457)
* Union City, PA to Andover, OH

Armin has been having various bike issues and finally I have some of my own. About a mile into Ohio I busted two spokes, might have bent my rear derailer, and possible the frame. Not sure what caused the problem, but it was messed up.

With the two broken spokes removed, I was able to fix one with a repair kit, but not the other one. The wheel is out of true and not rideable. Luckily we broke down at an insurance agency and they are going to let us camp out behind an old barn. Tomorrow morning a bike shop back about 6 miles away opens at 10AM, so there is nothing to do but wait until than. I might try and hitch a ride, or will just walk it.

We had planned to stay at a friends mom's house in Cleveland tomorrow night, but that is going to have to be put off until Thursday night. There we are hoping to shower, wash some clothes, and maybe even sleep inside! Even though we haven't made it yet, thanks for hooking us up Erica!!

Other than that the ride today was nice. Felt good to be done with a state, even though I'm heading back first thing tomorrow morning. We have gotten to the flat Ohio everyone we talk to has been mentioning. Let's hope this bike shop can get me fixed up tomorrow.