Saturday, July 21, 2007

Day 12 - 80 miles

* Total = 735
* Woodville to Montpelier

We woke up a little late today, but that didn't stop us from putting in some good miles. The flat land certainly helps with that. At one point today I was riding next to another bicycler, Joe. I had passed him in a town while he was going slow and I made him work to catch up to me, pushing my speed to around 20 mph. He seemed like a nice guy, jealous of the journey we are on. He also said were lucky because normally there are 10-15 mph winds thru this part of the state.

Tonight is our dinner night, so instead of cooking some delicious mac & cheese we plan to find a decent restaurant in Montpelier. I already splurged with an ice cream cone earlier today. Ohio has a ton of ice cream shops, it's tough not to stop at all of them.

-

Rolling into Montpelier we had a crowd to cheer us on. Today was the end of Montpelier's Bean Festival, which ends with the Bean Parade. We were able to find some grass for our tents in enough time to catch the parade. Being hungry as well, we looked around for a place to eat and came along an all you can eat pizza joint, The Pizza Oven. Pizza, salad, dessert, soft drinks, and some other hot food for $5.34. A dream come true for the touring cyclist.

Armin was by far the biggest eater, which could be a mistake come tomorrow. I was hoping to eat more than I did, but they had Mellow Yellow and I filled up too much on that. Why isn't Mellow Yellow in more places, it tastes so good? We were able to eat and watch the parade at the same time, so it was perfect. These nights out to eat are great.

Tomorrow we cross another state border early in the day!!