Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Day 24 - 90 Miles

Total = 1679 Miles
Henning, MN to Wyndmere, ND

The cops never showed up and kicked us off the property, so it was a good night! We got another day of pretty good weather and flat roads, so we had our 90 miles done by 3PM. It felt good to have another state checked off the list, only 5 to go. North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Washington, and Oregon.

A friend yesterday asked me what the biggest surprise on the trip has been. At first I said not getting sick of eating mac & cheese, but now that I've had more time to think about it my answer has changed. The first thing I've been surprised by is the weather. I thought for sure we would get some 100+ days that would bake us alive. Maybe we still will, but up to this point it hasn't been too hot and we haven't been rained on much. Besides today where we had about 20 miles of rain.

The other thing that I've been surprised by is how easy it is to find a place to setup our tents. People in small towns are so nice and don't harbor the same fear that those in the cities do. Tonight when I asked the pastor at the local Lutheran Church for permission, he didn't hesitate to say yes. I thought before the trip that we would be hiding behind abandoned buildings to find places to sleep, but that hasn't been the case. Besides a few towns, it has been totally easy.

Tomorrow we keep pushing West. If you get a chance to look at a map we'll be on Route 13. Nothing but a straight flat road that goes on and on.