Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Day 35 - 61 Miles


Lewistown to Geyser
Total = 2,643 Miles

Once again we were tossed around by the wind today. I read the local paper once I got to Geyser and it said the max wind speed yesterday was 46mph and today was supposed to have gusts in the 40's. It was bad. Climbing some hills I was knocked down to 4mph. Just fast enough to keep the bike upright. Were hoping tomorrow isn't as bad when we head into Great Falls.


Tonight was our fourth night, so we got to eat out! Geyser not being the happening place it once was had a single bar to choose from. Not bad food at all! And they had Olympia beer, so I know I'm getting closer to home. Our nights out are always full of locals asking us questions about the trip and for the most part giving us encouragement. Every once and a while you come across people who aren't much of a help. Like earlier today when I got into an argument with a guy who thought we were taking the wrong route and should head North to take highway 2. Upon explaining to him that we didn't want to travel that far North to only have to drop back down to get to Portland, he tried to argue that it wasn't far at all and that he had studied the maps. His wife finally jumped in before I was going to hand him my extra map and tell him to get some more studying in. My favorite was when he tried to scare me about the mountain pass we would be taking by holding his arm at a 75 degree angle. Sure buddy, that is really what it's like.

95 percent of the people we come across are totally friendly and helpful, but that other 5 percent still exists. The lady who told us to "hit the road", an old school gas station attendant who thought I would have to walk up the hills we were about to face, or the people who honk at us because we just cost them 10 seconds where they had to slow down as we pass through a narrow area. By far though, people across america have been great!