Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Day Off 5-8, 73 Miles

Total = 2,001 Miles

On day's off 1-4, we were in Chicago and didn't touch our bikes the whole time. On this break Armin and I needed to get around, so we were zipping all over the place to do various activities. Go out to breakfast, see some movies, attend an art gallery opening, and enjoy the beautiful Missouri River. Some how we managed to stay busy and tomorrow we get going West again.

I spent some time at the library looking at a possible route for the remaining states. I figure we got about 1,330 more miles to go, plus the random miles you pick up riding around town trying to find the only pay phone in North Dakota. I don't know how long this will take. With wind, hills, weather, and bike repairs to factor in there are just too many unknowns.

I do know that I'm looking forward to being back in Portland. Trying to slip back into the city I left four years ago in what was supposed to be a one year hiatus. I look forward to getting lost in the thousand's of books at Powells. Visiting my favorite watering holes for nice cold PBR's or one of the many micro beers to be found around town. Hitting the trail for a weekend day hike in the Columbia Gorge (btw, I don't have a car, anyone want to go hiking?). Spending Sunday evenings at one of the many coffee shops adding to the journaling I started 7 years ago. Watching Gonzaga basketball games with other fans and not having to stay up until 2am due to the west coast/east coast time differences. I could go on and on.

Obviously I've been thinking about it quite a bit. One of the many thoughts that gets me through an 80 to 90 mile day. One thing I've pondered is what is the first thing I will want to do. I imagine we will cross from Vancouver, WA into Portland on the I-5 bridge. Than it's just a short ride into North Portland where my brother and sister-in-law live. The first thing I picture myself doing is what Lance Armstrong got to do seven times. Cross the finish line drinking a glass of champagne. And maybe if Sheryl Crow is reading this blog and has gotten over being dumped she can meet me at the finish line for one hell of a first kiss. I will not be wearing a yellow jersey or submitting a blood sample for steroid testing, but I'd still like to end this journey in style.

The second thing I do? Well, if the Sheryl Crow thing doesn't work out, I'll have to pick something off the list started above. Maybe I should add showering, finding a job, and work on stop being a bum who sleeps in yards for free.