Thursday, August 30, 2007

Day 42 - 131 Miles


Dodge to Paterson
Total = 3,292

I don't ever want to do that again. Biking 131 miles isn't my idea of fun. After missing out on the OCB two nights ago and being stuck in Dodge after Armin missed us at a checkpoint, I couldn't let my goal of getting to Sheila's on Wednesday fail. Luckily the road was fast and I was able to deal with the heat by chugging gatorade and water.

We've officially been to every state that we'll pass through. We had to do a stretch in Oregon before crossing back into Washington for the final stretch to Paterson. Beautiful ride along the Columbia River. Our last 3/4 of a mile was down a crazy gravel road to Sheila's. A hard day's ride, but well worth it.

Sheila and her husband Harold treated us to a nice meal that was well needed after a long day. I think desert was the best. My fav cheese cake and nine choices of ice cream! Nine choices!! Wow, they know how to treat biking cyclist. Harold also treated us to some interesting ideology discussions. Vast different points of view...three city kids with some country folk. We were also treated with the my good friend Carey coming down from Spokane. He had the day off, so he was able to make the trip down on his motorcycle.

We have roughly 180 miles to go. We could do it in two days, but were planning to take it easy and make it a three day ride. So, for those of you in Portland we'll ride into town at some point on Saturday.