Friday, August 31, 2007

Day 43 - 73 Miles




Paterson to Maryhill State Park
Total = 3,365 Miles

Thanks again to Sheila, Harold, Carter, and Raegan for letting us crash at your house. Breakfast this morning was excellent and if your wondering what happened to the rest of the cheese cake, we ate it. Seeing how concerned you were about Harolds weight, we didn't want to leave anything behind to tempt him. Oh, and we also had some ice cream. Sheila and Harold's kids are just the cutest things. Carter is going to be a womanizer with the blond curly hair. Thanks again!!

Our plan was to take it easy for three days and have a nice ride into Portland, but today was hellish. Part of it was the affects of doing 130 miles yesterday, but really it was the conditions. Hot, windy, few places to get water (I had to refill out of the Columbia), and hills. It was really one of the hardest days.

Julie and I got into the State Campground just as it was getting totally dark. It isn't often that we have to use a head & tail light, but we did tonight. Armin is almost always tailing us and wasn't able to make it all the way. We did hear from him and he's safe. Just a few miles behind us up on a hill. He'll actually get a sweet sunrise way up their.

When I got to the State Campground signs were up saying it was full. Not something you want to see after a really hard day of biking with night at the doorstep. Luckily the campground attendant, Dave, saw me milling about with my bike and said he had a place for us. The group area isn't being used, so he said to take that at no charge. Dave, I may never see you again, but today your my hero. Julie and I are in a nice pavillion...even has a sink. If it wasn't for Dave I'd be squatting in some bush hoping that a big dog doesn't discover me in the morning.

We have roughly 100 miles to go, so two 50 mile days. Hopefully they aren't as rough as today, I was dieing.